The Iowa State Fair is here!
This summer tradition brings visitors to Des Moines from all around the world, so we thought it would be fun to showcase our top 5 favorite facts about The Iowa State Fair. Did you know...
1. The very first Iowa State Fair was held in Fairfield, October 15-17, 1854. The budget for this inaugural event was $323. The fair moved to the present location in 1886. That makes the fairgrounds 127 years old in 2013 and looking to the future, The Iowa State Fair is scheduled out until 2020!
- 2013 - August 8-18
- 2014 - August 7-17
- 2015 - August 13-23
- 2016 - August 11-21
- 2017 - August 10-20
- 2018 - August 9-19
- 2019 - August 8-18
- 2020 - August 13-23
2. The largest fair turn out was in 2008, with 1,109,150 total attendees. The second highest attendance was in 2011.
3. August 16, 1983 was the hottest day recorded at The Iowa State Fair, at 108 degrees!
4. Sonny & Cher had the largest concert back in 1972, with 26,200 people over two shows.
5. The Iowa State Fair showcases 60+ foods on-a-stick:
Bacon Wrapped Riblet
Deep Fried Brownie
Soft Salted Chocolate Dipped Almond Pretzel
Deep Fried Sweet Corn Corndog
Rib Shack Cowboy
Chocolate-Covered Chocolate Chip Cannoli
Chocolate-Covered Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Pop
Double Bacon Corn Dog
Chocolate-Covered Frozen S'more
Peanut Butter & Jelly
Chocolate-Covered Deep Fried Cheesecake
Chocolate-Covered Turtle Mousse Bar
Chocolate-Covered Peanut Butter Bar
Chocolate-Covered Key Lime Dream Bar
Corn on the Cob
Ice Cream Wonder Bar
Deep-Fried Milky Way
Breakfast Lamb Sausage
Chocolate-Covered Ice Cream Cookie Sandwich
With plenty of fun to find and people to watch, we hope you all enjoy The Iowa State Fair this year. For more details on tickets, schedules and more, check out www.IowaStateFair.org.